Sunday, March 4, 2007

Shopping, cooking, and eating: day 6

No shopping today.

Cooking and eating, in order:
  • bottomless cup of green tea
  • leftover roasted veggies from last night
  • a navel orange (not the one I bought yesterday but one I bought last Tuesday, or was it Saturday?)
  • the last two of the eggs from D.'s chickens, fried sunny-side up in a little olive oil, and two slices of toasted Russian sourdough (I don't really count this as cooking, but yes, I fried the eggs and toasted the toast)
  • a tangelo
  • one last hamantasch (yes, that really is the singular of hamantaschen, and no, I didn't know that either until yesterday)
  • a kiwi
  • cooked an Indian-style stew (this can be made with any veggies you have around that you think would taste good; I use different things each time, and this was what I had today that seemed right) to eat for lunch tomorrow and over the whole week:
    1. Chop a medium onion.
    2. Heat some olive oil in a smallish soup pot or large saute pan or saucepan over high heat.
    3. Add a few cardamom pods, a couple teaspoons of fenugreek, and a generous tablespoon each of cumin seeds and mustard seeds.
    4. When the seeds start to fry and burst, add the onion. Add salt. Turn the heat down if necessary to keep from scorching.
    5. Chop some garlic (I used four cloves today) and add them to the pot with a generous amount (a tablespoon or two?) of ground cumin and a smaller amount of coriander, and an even smaller amount of turmeric.
    6. Don't burn yourself on the side of the pot, right on your wrist tattoo, while adding the spices. Oops, too late.
    7. Add a bit of water to the pot to keep everything from burning, and turn it down again.
    8. Chop three potatoes and add them to the pot along with more salt.
    9. Separate cauliflower into florets and add to the pot.
    10. Add a big can of garbanzo beans, drained, and then add some water—you can add enough to cover all the veggies, if you want it relatively wet, but I'm not looking for anything super-soupy today so I am going light on the water. If I had veggie broth I would use that instead, but I don't.
    11. Wash a bunch of chard, chop the stems, and add them to the pot.
    12. Simmer for a while, and when potatoes are tender, chop the chard leaves and add them, too.
    13. Simmer a little more and then taste for seasoning. Correct seasoning and simmer some more.
    14. Stick in it the fridge for tomorrow's lunch and beyond. It keeps well and will be even more flavorful after sitting overnight.
  • cooked some rice in the rice cooker
  • (back to eating now) some dried apricots and Ak-mak crackers, oh I love them so
  • a mandarin from yesterday's market
  • a piece of none-too-crisp celery out of the crisper dipped in some peanut sauce I made for a party several weeks ago (that stuff has so much garlic in it, it keeps for months)
  • some broccoli sauteed with the remaining tofu I marinated on Friday, over some rice from the rice cooker
UPDATE:
  • some Mary's Gone Crackers, black pepper flavor
  • one of those chocolate truffles I mentioned the other day
  • two veeeeery theeeeen slices of Russian sourdough (untoasted), spread with the very last of the Earth Balance

No comments: