Thursday, March 1, 2007

Shopping, cooking, and eating: day 2, part 2

Dinner last night was veggie potstickers, tofu with string beans, and brown rice from the Yum Yum House. I was still over at A.'s apartment—my date D. came to pick me up and we ended up ordering in. A. ate sweet and sour tofu and crab rangoon (yes, I'll explain what that is in a minute) and D. ate egg rolls and chicken chow mein, which, as a special bonus, came for free because the YYH has one of those buy-two-entrees-get-free-noodles dealies.

And then there was the prodigious after-dinner snacking:
  • a whole lot of the Trader Joe's version of Pirate's Booty
  • some milk chocolate with hazelnuts
  • and, um, a piece of A.'s crab rangoon, which is like a fried wonton filled with cream cheese and fake crab (pollack, D. declared, and he was seconded by A.'s ex-boyfriend A., who had stopped by to...oh, forget it, I'm not explaining the whole situation, this isn't that kind of blog), and seasoned with chives and pepper. How did this happen? Well, A. wasn't gonna eat it, and she offered it to me. I recoiled in horror (I've eaten crab rangoon before, in my I'll-eat-anything, never-really-thought-about-where-it-came-from days, and it's just...weird), and D. made some comment that reminded me of the time last week when I ate bacon-flavored squeeze cheese on a Ritz cracker at his house (and no, I'm not explaining that one, either, 'cause nor is it that kind of blog), after which he said, "I win!" Of course I took that as a challenge, and since the thing was gonna get thrown out if I didn't eat it (D. is allergic to shellfish, and even though it was really pollack he wasn't gonna do it) I saw it as more of a freegan moment than a breaking of the rules. Physically I think I felt worse due to the fried aspect than the cheese/pollack aspect. But, regardless, it was so not a good choice to put that in my mouth. Thankfully I had already forbidden D. to say "I win" after.

No comments: