Friday, March 2, 2007

Shopping, cooking, and eating: day 4

There has been cooking today! Exciting.

I made garlic-ginger tofu with dino kale and brown rice. Here's how:
  • put rice in the rice cooker
  • press tofu blocks under a weighted plate for about a half-hour (less is okay but the full time is better)
  • put into a pie plate: one tablespoon grated ginger, one tablespoon minced garlic, three tablespoons sauce, two tablespoons light (untoasted) sesame oil, one tablespoon dark (toasted) sesame oil, some red pepper flakes, and a bit of sugar (optional); mix it all together
  • slice tofu into slabs and nestle it into the marinade; let sit for as long as you can (this keeps in the fridge for up to a week; today I left it on the counter for just over an hour)
  • wash and chop kale
  • heat some of the marinade in a skillet or saute pan on high heat (make sure you get some garlic and ginger in there)
  • add kale and saute for a few minutes, until it's about half cooked (you might need to add a tablespoon or so of water to help it steam a bit if it looks like it might burn)
  • add some tofu slabs and fry; flip the slabs when they are browned on one side
  • when they are browned on the other side, stick some rice in a bowl and put the whole mess of tofu and kale on top
And now I have three small slabs of tofu sitting in marinade for me to eat anytime in the next several days—all I'll have to do is fry 'em up.

Eating:
  • bottomless cup of tea (duh)
  • two slices of toasted cornbread with Earth Balance (that's it for this loaf of cornbread; these were the heels and it's all gone)
  • the aforementioned kale n' tofu
  • a kiwi
  • a tangelo
  • an old apple with some peanut butter; this is the last of my old apples, thankfully—maybe I'll buy some more at the next market, but frankly I have been feeling not so appley lately
  • two thin slices of Russian sourdough with Earth Balance (it's almost gone—I have enough for one more slice of toast and then I am free of temptation until someone buys more and leaves it at my house)
Dinner will be Thai food. There will probably also be drinks.

UPDATE: Dinner was something called Gaeng Ho, which I had never seen on a menu before and had more different kinds of vegetables than any one thing I have ever eaten. It was awesome. It had a few cellophane noodles, tofu, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, spinach, some kind of squash, carrots, baby corn, eggplant, and a chunk or two of zucchini. All with basil and a red curry sauce that was a lot thicker and with way less coconut milk (maybe even none) than your typical red curry. Can I just say this again? It. Was. Awesome. Suriya. Go there. A little more than you're used to spending on dinner, but worth it.

There was no drinking, not even at the bar we went to afterwards for a show. But by the time I got home I was starving, so I had a midnight snack of generic shredded wheat and organic plain yogurt, topped with some dried fruit. And a chocolate truffle from a little package that Boston J. bought for me at the farmers market when she was visiting a few weeks ago. It's one of those truffles that's teeny-tiny but so incredibly good and satisfying that you don't need it to be any bigger (and you can't eat more than one at once).

No comments: